Saturday, June 23, 2012

Living in the moment

The past several weeks have been great.  I have a new sense of self-confidence that I haven't had in a while.  Its not that I wasn't confident at all, but, when you fail to reach goals that you set, there is an empty feeling that follows, and disappointment sets in shortly after. In hindsight though, actually that is how it was supposed to happen.  And that gets me to the thought of this post - living in the moment.

When I first set out to erase years of unhealthy living, I set some intermediate goals, of eating better, exercising more, and staying away from eating contests. I also started to surround myself with those who supported this change.  Not all were runners, matter a fact, some don't even exercise much at all, but they all were supportive and it gave me some drive to continue.  Of course, there has always been an inner drive to conquer goals, or sustain a lifestyle that would yield better physical results.

The transformation was slow....I started to bike, then that turned into running. And then marathons followed shortly thereafter.  I wanted something more, and that led to the goal of running ultramarathons.  Ambitious, you bet, impossible, no, but, there would be a good bit of training to get to that point.

In the transformation, there were lots of successes and just as many if not more failures.  Some successes - finishing the marathons, finishing my first FA50k, being dedicated to a training schedule through difficult times.  Some failures, sometimes missing a workout, running a workout and believing it wasn't a good one, or having a back workout, running slow at a race, and not sleeping enough. I could go on and on with successes and failures, but, what good is it to reflect on in indefinitely? While the successes and failures mean something, you really can dwell on the failures or live on your successes forever. Each day has its own new set of challenges that it presents, and it may force you to face a new experience.


Recently professional baseball player R.A. Dickey has made the news for his season so far. Very much a nontraditional player - he's a knuckleball pitcher.  He's had many failures in the past, and yes, some successes too. I didn't realize that he has a daredevil streak in him as well...having climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa to raise money for a charity. And he has also nearly drowned while trying to swim across the Missouri River.  More importantly, he isn't dwelling on his successes for failures of the past - he's just living pitch by pitch and enjoying the moment.  How is this working for him? Currently an 11 win, 1 lose season so far.  


This is how I approached Laurel this year - step by step, living in the moment.  Gracious for my supportive friends and family, and fellow runners, very much acknowledging their support, but not dwelling on any bad experiences, or getting too excited over some past successes.  This isn't to say that the successes and failures were not important.  Its those experiences that did get me back to the starting line this year, and the training was also an important part.  All prepared me to get to race day, but none of those got me through the day.
Sounds simple, and it is, but its just as easy to get caught up and dwell on everything else except the moment.  Each foot step was purposely made, and carefully placed, so that I could reach the goal.  


Next time you are looking for that something to overcome that challenge or goal you have set you are trying to conquer - try living in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment