Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hello - Welcome to Running in the Burgh

I wanted to again start blogging. I attempted to a start blog about my progress in running a marathon at a certain time, but I felt it just wasn't right for some reason. I wanted to so something more general, less of a single focus, something more about just running and my adventures - so the idea of Running in the Burgh was born.

A little about me, more than what my profile says. I am a middle of the pack runner seeking to improve each time I go out and race. My running history is limited. I was a high school and college swimmer, I ran track in my freshman and senior years of high school. After college, I started and family, and really did not participate in sports. I ran a marathon in 2000, weighing 230 pounds and did finish it. I was so under prepared and did it just to prove to myself that I could. I would not recommend this to anyone attempting to a marathon knowing now what I do.

For whatever reason, I became fascinated with competitive eating, and that became somewhat of a focus. After reaching the weight of 260 pounds, I did not feel so good, so something had to change. I bought a bike and began to ride it, and once I lost some initial weight, I decided to start running. Two years later I am at 208 pounds, I've completed 3 marathons, two ultramarathons, and DNF'd at a longer ultra marathon.

I've found the running community to be quite supportive. I have incorporated running into my social networking on twitter and that has been especially supportive since it seems a good bit of runners tweet. In turn, I have made the attempt to be supportive as well.

I hope you enjoy my posts about life, running, and the pursuit of improvement!

2 comments:

  1. Damn, I thought that competitive eating thing in your bio was a joke that you liked to eat a lot, I didn't think you really meant it! Whoa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a joke, but you live and learn. I like food, but now I like it for other reasons!!

    ReplyDelete